Washington WAP Application Information

Washington Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) offers weatherization services free of charge to income eligible individuals and families. These measures will improve your home so that it becomes more energy efficient. As a result, residents will have to pay lower bills of energy.

Washington WAP is funded by U.S Department of Energy (DOE), Bonneville Power Administration, U.S Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), and Washington State Matchmakers Program.

Washington WAP is administered through local WAP agencies. These agencies are spread throughout the state to ensure that every county is served. These agencies will receive your applications for WAP and provide weatherization services once your eligibility for the program has been determined. If you are a renter, you will need to obtain written permission from your landlord for weatherization improvements. Landlords may have to share cost of these measures.

Weatherization services such as insulation, sealing cracks, and improving the home structure, are implemented to save energy by reducing its loss. Low-income households will be able to bring down their utility bills after they start saving energy due to the weatherization measures.

Eligible households will receive weatherization services according to a priority list. Households with children, disabled, and elderly will receive priority. Households with medically needy person and high energy consumption will receive priority over the remaining households. The program continues to provide weatherization services until the funds last.

Those looking to receive weatherization services free of charge will need to be income eligible. You will calculate total income of your household by adding income of all the household members. Anyone living together, preparing meals together, and sharing living costs will be considered part of the household. Households with people on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and few other benefits automatically qualify for WAP services in Washington.

Eligibility Requirements

To receive free weatherization services in the state of Washington, you will need to be eligible for Washington WAP. Here are the requirements.

  • You should be a resident of the state of Washington. You will need to bring proof of your residence to process your application with your local WAP agency.

  • You should be responsible for paying home energy bills. You will need to bring copies of previous bills to prove that.

  • Your household should have high consumption of fuel.

  • Your household income should be within income limits so that it can become income eligible for WAP.

Income eligibility

Households looking to receive WAP services in the state of Washington will need to meet the following income guidelines. A quick overview of the income guidelines for annual income are given below. You can see the detailed income eligibility guidelines at this link.

Household size Annual income limit

  1. $22,340

  2. $30,260

  3. $38,180

  4. $46,100

  5. $54,020

  6. $61,940

  7. $69,860

  8. $77,780

In case your household has more people in it, you can add $7,920 for each additional person to find out income limit for your household size.

WAP Application Instructions

Applying for Washington WAP is easy, but there is no current online only application like many other benefit programs. You just need to find your local WAP provider and submit an application for WAP services. You can find a list of local providers in each state here.

You can also call your local WAP agency to see if you qualify for the program. You will find all contact details for local agencies in the list above.