Texas WAP Application Information

Texas Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is for low-income households in Texas. These households can improve energy efficiency for their homes using different weatherization services. These services may include installing of weatherization material or fixing up air leakage to ensure house maintains its temperature by reducing heat conduction. The result will be reduction of fuel usage, thus helping low-income households reduce energy costs. These energy efficient measures can last for a lime time. Texas WAP provides these services free of cost to income eligible households.

Texas WAP is available for all income eligible residents of Texas. However, if you’re a renter, you’ll need to obtain permission from your landlord. You will need this permission in writing, which you must bring with you when applying for WAP with your local WAP provider.

The program determines applicant’s eligibility for the program using income limits against number of people living in the household. Qualified households will be put on a waiting list for an energy audit. Households with elderly, disabled or children will receive priority on the waiting list. When it’s time, WAP provider will send a qualified energy auditor and his/her team to perform a comprehensive energy audit to determine areas where energy efficiency measures are required. The team will determine cost as opposed to energy savings achieved through these measures. Most households will be approved for most weatherization services provided their homes are in good shape to hold off to weatherization measures.

WAP services are available in all the 254 counties of the state. These services are administered by 33 community action agencies, on-profit units, and local government organization. Each county has a local WAP Provider to ensure that all counties are served locally. U.S Department of Energy, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, and Investor Owned Utility Program fund WAP services. The services are provided throughout the year, for as long as the funds last.

You will need to apply with your local WAP provider to receive these services. The easiest way to apply is to visit your local WAP office in person. However, you can also apply by downloading the application and sending it to your local WAP provider by mail or fax. Those looking to get approved quickly should take all the necessary documents with them when applying for these services. It will help you to speed up the process.

Eligibility Requirements

If you’re going to apply for Texas WAP, you will need to meet the eligibility criteria for the program to receive WAP services.

  • Texas WAP is only available for residents of Texas. If you’re residing in another state, you should consult your local WAP provider for these services.

  • You should be responsible for paying your home energy costs.

  • In case you’re a renter, you will need to ensure that you’ve obtained a written permission from your landlord.

  • Your household income should be within the income limits set for the program.

Income limits

Here are income limits for the Texas WAP program.

Household size Annual income level

  1. $22,340

  2. $30,260

  3. $38,180

  4. $46,100

  5. $54,020

  6. $61,940

  7. $69,860

  8. $77,780

If your household has more than eight people, you can add $7920 for each additional person to find out annual income limit for your household.

WAP Application Instructions

In order to receive Texas WAP services, you will have two options to apply:

  • Apply by mail/fax: You can apply for Texas WAP services through mail and fax. You will need to download application and send it to your local WAP provider office after completing the application. You will need to attach all the necessary documents with your application. You can download application here.

  • Apply by visiting your local WAP office: You can also apply for Texas WAP by visiting your local WAP office in your county. WAP Providers have offices in all 254 counties. You can visit this link for more information on local providers here.

You can get more information by calling them at (512) 475-3800.