New Mexico LIHEAP Application Information

LIHEAP, or The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, assists low income renters and homeowners with money for their heating costs. This way low income homeowners and renters are prevented from the risk of living without sufficient energy and heating. New Mexico LIHEAP keeps its low income families both healthy and safe during those extremely cold months.

Just like in any other state in the US, New Mexico LIHEAP is administered by the state Department of Community Services & Development. The funds are then distributed by the Federal Department of Health and Human Services to individual states annually including New Mexico to assist with energy bills and offsets heating and/or cooling energy costs for eligible low-income households.

In New Mexico, LIHEAP is meant for those who cannot afford to heat their home or pay electricity bills. It also benefits those who are in need of energy improvements such as new insulation or a new heating system. Low income households qualify for heating assistance and energy improvements at no cost to them at all. In some instances moderate-income households may qualify for low cost energy loans

Eligibility Requirements

In New Mexico, assistance received per each household is issued based on individual household size and income, energy costs, and other factors.

In order for you to qualify, you must meet specific income guidelines or sixty percent of the state area median income as shown on the table below.

Family Size

Maximum Income Level

(Per Annum)

















Income eligibility guidelines can be found at

Households with an income of between 150% and 170% of the specified federal poverty level and comprise of a member who is either a child below 24 months of age, an elderly person or anyone who is likely to suffer from hypothermia are eligible.

In New Mexico, you can still apply for LIHEAP even when your heat is included in your rent. Help can also be availed to anyone who is on the verge of losing electric supply due to disconnection in the next 3 or 4 days.

If you are eligible for New Mexico LIHEAP, you may also qualify for other programs that require LIHEAP eligibility:

  • If you receive residential electric service from an electric utility and you are not living in government subsidized housing, you may be eligible for assistance with your electric bills from your electric utility’s Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.

  • If your home is not as energy efficient as it could be, you may qualify for home weatherization improvements through our Weatherization Program.

  • If your heating system is in need of repair or replacement, you may qualify for the weatherization and repair.

Please refer to New Mexico’s agency contact list on to apply for LIHEAP and to be automatically considered for the Low Income Assistance Plan and the Appliance Replacement, Weatherization and Central Heating Improvement programs.

LIHEAP Application Instructions

Applications for New Mexico LIHEAP must be placed between August 1 and April 30.

To enroll for the New Mexico LIHEAP program, you have to complete a LIHEAP application. Fill out the mandatory energy assistance application form accurately. This form may be obtained from Include all your sources of income to enable the energy assistance office determine if you qualify for the low income energy assistance.

LIHEAP hand filled applications must be mailed to the LIHEAP local agency in order to receive your energy assistance benefit. You can get the address for your energy assistance office by visiting

The following information and documentation will be required during the application process.

  • Names and social security numbers of all people living in your household.

  • Proof of gross household income for the last 3 or 12 months. (Household income includes, but is not limited to: wages, social security, unemployment, pension, and disability payments.)

  • Proof of present address (for example, a rent receipt, lease, deed, or property tax bill).

  • Recent copies of your energy and utility bills.

  • The type of fuel used to heat your home (natural gas, heating oil, propane, wood, wood pellets, biobricks, coal, corn or kerosene).

Telephone enquiries may be made at this toll-free number: 800-283-4465.