Louisiana FITAP Application Information
How to Apply for FITAP
Enter your zip code to get started.
FITAP is unlike other programs that just help needy families with cash, FITAP aims at ensuring that these families reduce their reliance on aid and become self sufficient. FITAP does not give benefits for a lifetime.
The program tries to make families financially independent by preparing their able members for employment while assisting them with cash and/or supportive services. With their financial burdens eased most families are able to cease from relying on welfare assistance at the end of the assistance period. They are thus better placed to take care of their children.
Depending on size, FITAP families receive benefits as follows:
|Family Size||Benefits Paid|
|1||$122 per month|
|2||$188 per month|
|3||$240 per month|
|4||$284 per month|
|5||$327 per month|
|6||$366 per month|
|7||$402 per month|
|8||$441 per month|
|9||$477 per month|
|10||$512 per month|
Besides financial aid, FITAP families may receive the supportive services like:
- Transportation to work for participating members
- Case management
- Allowances for expenses incurred while entering into employment
The program is provided under the Department of Social Services of Louisiana in accordance to the Social Security Act Title IV-A.
To be eligible for FITAP, the family's monthly countable income must not¨ exceed the amount they expect to receive according to the number of family members. The client's grant amount can be arrived at by subtracting the monthly income from the flat grant amount. The following income deductions are allowed:
- $120 per month for each employed member
- $900 for six months for every employed member
In general, applying families must meet the following conditions to be considered for FITAP:
- The family must reside permanently in the state of Louisiana
- The family members must be US citizens or legal aliens
- Each member must have a Social Security Number. If they don't have one they may apply for it while applying for FITAP
- The children in the family must be aged below 18. If aged 18, they are only eligible if they're still in school and expecting to complete studies before turning 19
- The person applying for FITAP must be related to the child or children by blood, adoption or marriage
- The person applying for FITAP must be living in the same home as the child or children
- The family must be deemed financially needy based on countable income. Factors like unemployment or absent or disabled parents are not considered.
- The applicant must cooperate with the state fully to verify the paternity of the children. They must also be ready to sign over any child support payments for the child to the state
- Able members of the family must be ready to seek employment in order to cease from relying on FITAP assistance. If they do not have the required skills, they must be ready to cooperate in order to receive training
- Evidence must be presented to show that each member under the age of 18 has received immunization against diseases that can be prevented by vaccination
- Each member who is pregnant or who has a child less than a year old must be ready to attend parenting skills training
- Either parent in the family must not have received benefits for 24 or more months of the 60 months prior to application
- If the parents are minors, they must be living with their children in a home with an adult capable of supervising them
- All members of the family aged 18 and above must be ready to be screened for illegal drug abuse and to receive rehabilitation if necessary
FITAP Application Instructions
The easiest way to apply for FITAP is to download an application form online, print it out and send it to the nearest Economic Stability parish office. You can download a form using this link:
The form can be used to apply for several Louisiana programs including FITAP. To view and print it from your computer, you will need Acrobat Reader software which can be downloaded here for free.
After completing the form, mail it or deliver it by hand to the nearest Economic Stability parish office. Find a list of Economic Stability parish offices and their addresses here:
A step by step description of how to apply for FITAP can be found here:
Please Note: You can also call 1-888-LAHELP-U (1-888-524-3578) and have a social worker take you through the application process over the phone.