Iowa Unemployment Application Information
How to Apply for Unemployment
Enter your zip code to get started.
Iowa unemployment benefits are financial assistance programs run by Iowa Workforce Development for eligible workers who have lost their jobs. These benefits aim to provide temporary financial relief to unemployed workers while they search for new employment. You'll need to file an initial claim and then submit weekly claims to continue receiving benefits. The amount you receive each week depends on your previous earnings, up to a maximum set by Iowa law.
To qualify for unemployment benefits in Iowa, you need to meet several conditions:
- Be unemployed through no fault of your own
- Be able to work
- Be available for work
- Be actively looking for work
- Register at IowaWORKS and upload a resume
- Document weekly work search activities
- File weekly claims
- Attend any required meetings or assessments
There are also financial qualifications that all applicants must meet. Monetary eligibility is determined by the claimant's work history and earnings.
- You must have been paid wages by insured employers in at least two quarters of the base period
- Total base period wages of at least 1.25 times the wages earned in the highest base period quarter
- You must have earned wages of at least $2,000 in one quarter and at least $1,000 in a different quarter.
Understanding and meeting these eligibility requirements is key to receiving and keeping your unemployment benefits.
Unemployment Application Instructions
There are two ways to apply for Iowa unemployment benefits: online and in person at a local IowaWORKS Center. Be sure to file in the first week you want to start getting paid, as you won't be paid for any weeks before your claim's effective date.
Claims are processed with a Sunday effective date, and the unemployment week runs from Sunday to Saturday. After successfully submitting your application, a confirmation page will appear; it will display your confirmation number, which you should save.
You can file your initial claim on Saturdays and Sundays from 6:00 AM to 7:30 pm, and on weekdays from 6:00 AM to 6:30 pm. The confirmation page will also have a printable copy of your confirmation number and will guide you on when to start filing your weekly claim.
Before you start filling out the application for unemployment benefits, make sure you have the following information ready:
- Social Security Number
- Names, Social Security Numbers, birth dates, and relationships of up to four dependents
- Full mailing address, including any apartment or lot number and zip code
- Contact phone number
- Name of your most recent employer, exactly as it appears on your pay stubs or W-2 forms
- Start and end dates of employment with your most recent employer
- Reason for leaving your last job
- If not a U.S. citizen, your employment authorization number and expiration date
- If you served in the military in the past 18 months, your DD 214 Member #4 Form
- If you were a federal civilian employee in the past 18 months, Standard Form 8 or Standard Form 50
Having these details at hand will help streamline the application process.