Delaware LIHEAP Application Information

The Delaware Energy Assistance Program (DEAP) offers financial help to low-income households who are facing financial difficulty to pay their energy costs. The program uses funds provided by Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and U.S Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) and distributes them through the Division of State Service Centers (DSSC).

The main purpose of DEAP is to help low-income residents of Delaware meet their home energy costs. The households looking to receive financial help through this federally-funded program will have to meet income guidelines, which are set at 200% of the federal poverty level (FPL). Households with income above this limit will not be able to receive DEAP benefits despite having trouble to pay their energy bills.

The DEAP provides assistance through its several child programs. It provides fuel assistance through Fuel Assistance Program that opens up in October and runs through March. Eligible households will receive financial support to pay their cost for fuel used for heating, including electricity, kerosene, coal, wood, propane, and natural gas depending on the location of the household. You will be eligible to receive this grant even if you are living in rented home.

The households in crisis receive additional help through Crisis Assistance Program. Similarly, households facing trouble to pay their cooling bills will receive assistance through Summer Cooling Assistance Program (SCAP) during the months of June-August. The program offers financial assistance to households so that they can keep their home cool and safe from the outside humid and hot summer. This program also provides cooling equipment such as air conditioners to certain households in Delaware.

Households looking to receive financial assistance through DEAP will have to meet program requirements. In addition to general requirements, the program also requires applicants to meet income guidelines. However, income eligibility is waived for families already on TANF, SSI, or SNAP assistance.

To apply for the program, applicants will have to contact their local Catholic Charities. It will direct you in the right direction so that you can receive the benefits at the earliest.

Eligibility Requirements

If you are looking to receive assistance with energy bills through DEAP, you will have to meet the following eligibility guidelines:

  • You must be a U.S citizen or a qualified alien

  • You must be a resident of Delaware

  • You must need assistance to pay your energy bills

  • You must have income below 200% of Federal Poverty Level (FPL)

Income Eligibility

In order to become a DEAP qualified household, your household income must be under 200% of FPL. Here is income limit chart for 200% FPL according to family unit size.

Family Unit Size Gross Annual Income

Household Size Maximum Gross Monthly Income 200% FPL Gross Monthly Income Limit 130% FPL Net Monthly Income Limit 100% FPL Maximum Monthly Benefit Amount
1 $2,266 $1,473 $1,133 $281
2 $3,052 $1,984 $1,526 $516
3 $3,840 $2,495 $1,920 $740
4 $4,626 $3,007 $2,313 $939
5 $5,412 $3,518 $2,706 $1,116
6 $6,200 $4,029 $3,100 $1,339
7 $6,986 $4,541 $3,493 $1,480
8 $7,772 $5,052 $3,886 $1,691
For each additional person add $788 $512 $394 $211

You can also find monthly income limit chart on this page.

People receiving certain other benefits may automatically qualify the income eligibility. Such programs may include

  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) support

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, also known as food stamps

LIHEAP Application Instructions

In order to apply for Delaware Energy Assistance Program (DAEP), you will have to contact your local Catholic Charity. You can call your local charity at the following numbers

  • Call at 674-1782 if you live in Kent County

  • Call at 654-9295 if you live in New Castle County

  • Call at 856-6310 if you live in Sussex County

For more information on application process or LIHEAP, contact your local office of Division of State Service Centers. You can find contact information for your local offices at this link.