Connecticut WAP Application Information

Connecticut Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is funded by U.S Department of Energy $ environmental Protection (DEEP). The program provides aid to low-income households so that they can improve their home to make it weather resistant. The program aims to reduce energy costs by minimizing fuel usage, which is achieved through retrofits.

Connecticut WAP benefits include installation of water conservation equipment, detection of leakage, evaluation of insulation, and replacement of older appliances with energy efficient appliances. The program also provides insulation services to qualified households who haven't received weatherization benefits before. Some households may also qualify to receive energy efficient light bulbs in addition to other benefits.

Connecticut WAP gives priority to households that are particularly vulnerable due to having a children, elderly, or people with disability in the household. The program also gives priority to households that have high energy costs but low income. If a household has a medically needy person, it will receive natural priority for benefits. The benefits are available for renters as well as homeowners. The renters will need to obtain consent of their landlord in order to apply for these benefits. In addition to the approval, the landlord will also need to pay some portion of the total cost of weatherization.

Eligible households will be enrolled for an energy audit. It will help Connecticut WAP determine free weatherization assistance that a household needs. Once determined, the program will provide aid to households so that they can carry out the home improvement to make their home more energy efficient. The home improvements may include air-sealing, repairs, insulations, and installation of special sealing to reduce energy costs for the household. These benefits are only provided once to the eligible households.

Eligibility Requirements

If you are eligible for Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP), you will qualify for Weatherization Assistance Program in most cases. Here are general requirements for CEAP and Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) in Connecticut.

  • You must be a U.S citizen or a legal alien to receive WAP benefits

  • You must be a resident of Connecticut to receive these benefits

  • You must meet income eligibility criteria, which requires household income to be at or below 60% of the state median income level.

In addition to general eligibility, which is similar to eligibility for CEAP, applicants will also have to meet additional requirements related to dwelling.

  • If you are living in a multi-family dwelling, at least 2/3rd of the tenants should be income eligible to receive WAP benefits.

  • The dwelling should not have received Connecticut WAP benefits after Sep 30, 1994.

  • The building should not be listed for sale for six months after the weatherization work has been completed.

  • The dwelling must not be on sale at the time of applying for Connecticut WAP benefits.

  • The dwelling should not be in foreclosure.

  • In case you are a renter, your landlord should agree to contribute at least $500 or 20% of the total cost of home improvement, whichever is lower.

Income Eligibility Chart

In order to meet income guidelines for Connecticut WAP, your household income should meet these requirements.

60% State Median Household Income Limit

Family Size Annual Income Monthly Twice-Monthly Bi-Weekly Weekly
1 $41,553 $3,462.75 $1,731.38 $1,594.77 $797.38
2 $54,338 $4,528.17 $2,264.08 $2,084.62 $1,042.31
3 $67,124 $5,593.67 $2,796.83 $2,574.46 $1,287.23
4 $79,910 $6,659.17 $3,329.58 $3,064.31 $1,532.15
5 $92,695 $7,724.58 $3,862.29 $3,554.15 $1,777.08
6 $105,481 $8,790.08 $4,395.04 $4,043.85 $2,022.00
7 $107,878 $8,989.83 $4,494.92 $4,149.23 $2,074.62
8 $110,275 $9,189.58 $4,594.79 $4,254.62 $2,127.23

If more than eight people live in your household, you can add $9,804 to the annual income limit for each addition person.

Households receiving Supplemental Security Income or Aid to Families with Dependent Children, they will be automatically qualified for Connecticut WAP.

WAP Application Instructions

In order to apply for Connecticut WAP, you will need to apply with Community Action Agency (CAA) office in your county. The program accepts applications with Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP). If you apply for CEAP, you will be automatically considered for Connecticut WAP.

To find an Energy Assistance intake site near you, please call 2-1-1. Alternatively, you can call department of Social Services at 1-800-842-1132. Or, for more information, you can visit the regularly updated official Connecticut Weatherization web page.

You can find a CAA office near you using this link.