Connecticut LIHEAP Application Information

Low-income households residing in Connecticut may receive financial aid to pay their heating bills during winter if they meet basic LIHEAP/CEAP requirements. LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program), known as Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) in Connecticut, aims to help low-income households stay healthy during winter by keeping indoor temperature high. The program extends its benefits to homeowners and renters equally. If an applicant is paying for heating costs as a part of rent, he/she may receive financial help through LIHEAP after passing the eligibility test.

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) in Connecticut helps eligible households through Contingency Heating Assistance Program, Safety Net Services, Crisis Assistance Program, and Refugee Assistance Program.

The Contingency Heating Assistance Program typically offers additional $300 during winter to the qualified households. Similarly, households facing critical situation with their fuel supplies may receive additional aid through Crisis Assistance Program. The one-time grant is typically under $400 for one household. The program provides these benefits to households that are unable to pay for their fuel costs and are at a risk of running out of fuel.

Households qualifying for Safety Net Services under Connecticut Energy Assistance Program will receive up to $400 additional grant with each delivery of Safety Net benefits. Typically, households will receive 2-3 deliveries of such benefits.

Households receiving cash assistance from state through TANF or other programs will qualify for CEAP in most cases. Similarly, households receiving SNAP or State Administered General Assistance will also qualify for CEAP. Households with income below 150% of the federal poverty level (FPL) will also receive CEAP benefits. However, if there is an elderly or a disabled person in the household, then income can be as high as 200% and still you may receive CEAP benefits in Connecticut.

When you apply for CEAP, you automatically apply for Weatherization program as well. This program helps households protect their home against harsh weather by insulating walls, installing storm windows, and upgrading the heating system. Most households qualifying for CEAP benefits will also qualify to receive Weatherization benefits if they need.

CEAP benefits are will vary depending on number of factors. However, if you are a homeowner or renter who pays utility bills separately from rent, then you can receive up to $525 in winter heating assistance. If your household has a person over 60 years of age, disabled person, or young children, then you can receive benefits up to $575. On the other hand, if your household is paying heating bills as a part of rent, you can only receive up to $120 in heating assistance for winter.

Eligibility Requirements

In order to receive CEAP benefits, you will have to meet the following eligibility criteria.

  • You must be a U.S citizen or a legal alien

  • You must be resident of Connecticut

  • You must meet income and asset guidelines for the program

Income guidelines

Size of household Maximum Annual Income

Household Size Annual Income Monthly Twice-Monthly Bi-Weekly Weekly
1 $39,027 $3,252 $1,626 $1,500 $750
2 $51,035 $4,253 $2,127 $1,963 $981
3 $63,044 $5,254 $2,627 $2,425 $1,213
4 $75,052 $6,254 $3,127 $2,888 $1,444
5 $87,060 $7,255 $3,628 $3,350 $1,675
6 $99,069 $8,256 $4,128 $3,813 $1,907
7 $101,320 $8,443 $4,222 $3,892 $1,946
8 $103,572 $8,631 $4,316 $3,971 $1,986

If you have more than eight people in the household, then check these detailed income guidelines on this link for more information.

LIHEAP Application Instructions

To apply for Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP), you will have to contact your community action agencies. You can find your local community action agency office using this link.

When visiting community action agency office, you will have to take certain documents with you. You can find a complete list of documents needed for eligibility criteria here.

You can also call 2-1-1 to get more information about CEAP.