MFAP Application Instructions

There are several ways to apply for the Minnesota Food Assistance Program (MFAP):

  1. Visit your local county human services agency, where you can get a Combined Application Form which you'll need to fill out. You can find a list of human services agencies by following this link:
  2. You can also download and print a Combined Application Form by following this link:
    Simply print it out and turn it in at your local human services agency.
  3. There's also a list of partner agencies which could help you fill out this application form and where you can also get any additional help. A list can be found here:

This application form (also known as DHS-5223 form) comes in over 10 different languages, so even immigrants whose primary language isn't English can properly fill it out. It comes in 15 pages, so make sure you take your time and answer the question as precise and truthful as you can, since this can speed up the approval process.

Besides having properly filled out application form, you'll need to gather additional documents which will be used as a proof of your identity, monthly income and the value of your asset. These are all important categories, which need to show that you're eligible for the MFAP enrollment. These document are (by type):

  • Proof of your identity
  • Proof of identity for each family member who will be using MFAP benefits
  • Proof of your immigration status (you don't have to be a legal alien)
  • Proof of your monthly income
  • Proof of your assets, even though there's no asset limit for MFAP enrollment.

Eligibility Requirements

In order to be eligible you need to meet all of the following requirements:

  • You need to reside in Minnesota
  • You need to a qualified noncitizen or a noncitizen lawfully residing in the United States
  • You need to meet a certain income limit
  • You need to show your current assets
  • You shouldn't be receiving assistance as part of the MFIP enrollment (Minnesota Family Investment Program)

There's no limit on how much time you needed to spend in Minnesota to be eligible. You can freely apply if you've just come to Minnesota, and even if you don't plan on staying for a long period of time.

You'll need to prove that you're a qualified noncitizen lawfully residing in the United States. In most cases you can show your original foreign passport with stamps in it, or any other government-issued document which shows that you're legally in the U.S.

Income limit is set to 165% of the current Federal Poverty Level and it also depends on the size of your household. These are the income limits compared to a household size:

Family Size Monthly Income
1 $1,419
2 $2,004
3 $2,518
4 $3,023
5 $3,547

For each additional household member, you'll need to add $515.

In case you've got any additional questions, you can call the SNAP/MFAP hotline at 651-431-4050 in the Twin Cities metro area or 800-657-3698 in Greater Minnesota. For TTY service, call the Minnesota Relay at 711 or 800-627-3529.