Food Stamps Application Instructions

In order to apply for the SNAP enrollment, you'll need to fill out a Combined Application Form and turn it in at your local human services agency.

There are several ways to obtain and submit a Combined Application form:

  • You can use online application, which is probably the most convenient way to apply for this program. Simply visit this website:
    Here, which will take your directly to a secure web application.
  • You can download and print out a paper application, after which you'll need to turn it in at your local human services agency. Download application form by following this link:
  • Finally, you can find application forms at your local human services agency, where you can also get any additional help.

The application is about 15 pages long and it is available in over 10 different languages. It will ask you about the members of your household, your income and your assets. Since this is a combined form, you can also apply for any other Minnesota-administered programs. Make sure you take your time and carefully fill out this application, since this can speed up the review process.

Besides having a properly filled out application form, you'll also need additional documents which are used as a proof of your identity, income and your assets. These documents are:

  • Identification showing your name and address
  • Proof of your citizenship (a U.S. passport or document regarding immigration status for legal aliens)
  • A Social Security number for all members of your household
  • Proof of your monthly income (paystubs)
  • In case you're receiving any other welfare, you'll need documents which will show:
    Proof of your housing costs
    Medical bills of a household members who are over 60 years of age, or if a person has certain disabilities (regardless of age).

The process of approval usually takes the following four steps:

  • First step is to find and fill out a Combined Application Form, as accurately and completely as you can
  • Second step is to gather and turn in additional documents which will prove you identity, income and assets
  • Third step is to attend an interview at the county office, so you can explain your situation and discuss any additional questions. In some cases, this interview can be done by phone
  • Final step is to verify items requested by the county worker
  • After you've been approved, you should expect getting a notification about your newly issued EBT card

Eligibility Requirements

In order to get the SNAP benefits, you'll need to fulfill the following requirements:

  • You need to reside in Minnesota -
    There's no limit on how much time you've actually lived in Minnesota. You can apply if you've just moved here, or even in you don't plan on staying for a long period of time.
  • You need to be a U.S. citizen or a legal alien -
    You'll need to prove this with a U.S. passport and a Social Security number. If you're an immigrant, you'll need to bring government issued document which proves your immigration status.
  • You need to fulfill income limit guideline -
    This income limit is 130% of the Federal Poverty Level.
  • Some special requirements and changes of income limits can be applied in cases of senior citizens and disabled individuals
  • There's no longer an asset limit for SNAP effective November 1, 2010

In case you're a student and you'd like to use SNAP benefits, besides meeting general requirements and eligibility guidelines, you'll need to meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • Under the age of 18 or over the age of 50
  • Physically or mentally unable to work
  • Employed for at least 20 hours a week
  • Participating in work-study program
  • Caring for a child under the age of 6, or a child between 6 and 11 if childcare is unavailable
  • A single parent with a child under the age of 12
  • Participating in a Workforce Investment Act (WIA) or similar work program
  • Participating in on-the-job training where you are paid to learn new skills by an employer

You are also eligible for the SNAP enrollment even if you're using other state-funded programs, as long as you fulfill income and asset requirements for both of these programs:

  • Most families use SNAP benefits after they've used MFIP benefits (Minnesota Family Investment Program)
  • Families are eligible in case they're participating in the Diversionary Work Program (DWP)
  • Families which are composed entirely of people who receive General Assistance (GA),
    Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Families with at least 1 child are also eligible to receive Basic Sliding Fee Child Care or Transitional Year Child Care.

If you need any more information on eligibility requirements, you can use this webpage: This is where you can find a list of organization in different Minnesota counties which could help you with the process of applying, as well as with any additional questions or doubts.