WAP Application Instructions

To receive WAP benefits, you will need to apply for the program through your local Community Action Program (CAP) agency.

You can locate your nearest CAP agency using this link.

For help with application or anything else related to the program, you can call (207) 626-4639. You can also request more info using this form.

Eligibility Requirements

To receive WAP benefits in Maine, you will need to meet the following program requirements.

  • You must be a U.S citizen or a qualified alien. You should attach copies of relevant documents to proof your citizenship or legality of alien status.

  • Only residents of Maine can receive benefits through Maine Weatherization Assistance Program. If you live in another state, you should look for weatherization and fuel assistance program for that state. Remember, you will need to prove your residence by furnishing proper documents.

  • Your household income should be below the maximum income level for WAP.

  • You should be eligible for Central Heating Improvement Program (CHIP)

Income Eligibility

In order to receive WAP services, your household income must be within the maximum income limit defined by WAP each year. Here is an income chart to compare your household income against its size.

Household size Household income

  1. $18,989

  2. $25,721

  3. $32,453

  4. $39,185

  5. $45,917

  6. $52,649

  7. $59,381

  8. $66,113

If you have more than eight people in the household, then add $6,732 for each additional person.

Automatic eligibility

A household will automatically qualify for Maine WAP benefits if,

  • Someone in your household is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

  • Your household is receiving Aid to Families with Dependent Children