WAP Application Instructions

Unlike other state funded welfare programs, IHWAP grant must be made in person through the crosswalk CAA, headquartered in Franklin County's West Frankfort. It is important to arrange for an appointment for the in-person application process. Appointment is made by calling the Crosswalk CAA directly. Contact information is available online at the Crosswalk CAA website at crosswalkcaa.com. Details about the application process can be found at .

Application Process:

  1. To apply you start by contacting the agency provider in your area. For the list of agency providers in Illinois go to: dceo.illinois.gov/

  1. Then submit your application. Applications forms are pretty simple, and usually take only about 20 minutes to fill out. You'll have to include proof of income with your submission. The state of Illinois requires you to submit your application in person at your local office.

  1. If you are eligible, your local weatherization agency will automatically put you on a waiting list, but you will hear back from them eventually. Depending on the season, the amount of funding available, the demand for energy audits, and other factors, it can be a while before you hear back on your application.

  1. You local agency will then contact you and schedule a professional energy consultation for an energy audit and an analysis of your energy bills.

  1. Then IHWAP and energy audit personnel will assist you in identifying contractors who will work with the weatherization grants program.

Program Contact Information

For more details about this IHWAP Weatherization program, please go to: www.commerce.state.il.us/Energy+Assistance/.

Or call Energy Assistance Hotline at (877) 411-9276.

Eligibility Requirements

IHWAP Eligibility is strictly determined by family size and household income in accordance with federal guidelines.

Weatherization services are free to households that:

  • Are eligible for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

  • Have an occupant receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Aid to Aged, Blind or Disabled (AABD); or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF).

  • Are at or below the annual income chart shown to the right.

  • (For a household with more than eight people, add $7,480 for each additional person.)

  • Renters may be assisted if they are eligible and the landlord agrees to the program terms. A fifty percent (50%) landlord contribution for weatherization work is required for rental property.

Weatherization services are provided by local community action agencies or not-for-profit agencies throughout the entire state of Illinois. Your household annual income before taxes must be as specified in the table below: Other eligibility details can be found here: dceo.illinois.gov/

Household Size 200% Annual Income (State, HHS & DOE Funds)
1 $29,160
2 $39,440
3 $49,720
4 $60,000
5 $70,280
6 $80,560
7 $90,840