Unemployment Application Instructions
There are three ways in which one can apply for the New York unemployment insurance program. These are:
- Online Application
- Paper/Physical Application
- Application Assistance via Phone
The online application method is preferred by many applicants mainly because of its convenient. If you use the online application you do not have to make trips to the New York Unemployment insurance offices. All you need is a computer and a reliable internet connection. You can obtain an online application form by following this link:
In order to complete the online application form you need to have a social security number and a valid driver's license for the state of New York or an identification card number, a mailing address, and other details such as phone number, zip code and salary information about your most recent job.
Applicants can decide to use a paper application, by either downloading the paper application available on this link: http://www.labor.ny.gov/home/ or by going to your nearest local unemployment insurance office where you will be given an application form. While at this offices you will have a chance to speak to the program representatives who will address any questions or queries you have concerning the application process.
You will then proceed to fill the application for; at this stage you should be careful to make sure that you provide responses to all the questions in the provided response fields. After filling the form you can submit it at the offices or send it via mail. The application will be processed and you will start enjoying the benefits upon successful processing of the application.
Application Assistance via Phone
For those applicants who one reason or another cannot fill out an online application or visit the New York unemployment insurance offices to collect an application phone, they can request for a form to be sent to them via mail by calling the following toll free number: 877-358-5306
By calling you will also get a chance to speak to a New York Unemployment insurance representative who will address any issues or questions concerning the application process.
When choosing an application method you should carefully select a method that is most convenient for you, in the sense that it will give you the least challenges when applying.
In order to qualify for the New York unemployment insurance, you need to meet a specified set of eligibility requirements. These requirements are generally pegged on the employment status, citizenship, residence and income; these requirements are discussed with reference to a base period which is defined as the first four or the last five complete calendar quarters or the alternate period which is defined as the last four completed calendar quarters.
- You should have worked previously and have earned wages in at least two calendar quarters in the period before application for membership
- You should have been paid a minimum of $1600 in form of wages in at least one of the quarters of the base period
- If you do not meet the base period qualification requirements your application will be evaluated using an alternate base period, and in the event that you qualify for the alternate period, then the base period will be used to evaluate your claims
- In order to maintain eligibility into the program you must prove that you are available for work and demonstrate that availability by actively looking for work
- Other eligibility requirements include being a resident of the state of New York and a citizen of the US or a legal alien