FIP Application Instructions
There are three ways to apply for Michigan Family Independence Program (FIP)|Cash Assistance, these include:
Application by Mail or In-Person
Print and fill up the application form which can be found at the bottom page of this link:
If you need help in filling up the form, you may go to the nearest DHS where a representative will assist you. Once completed, sign your form and submit it to the representative.
Applying online for FIP is made easier by following these steps:
- Go to: www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-5453_5526_7028---,00.html and click on the tab that says, "Apply Now"
- If it is your first time to apply, click "Am I Eligible" to find out if you are qualified.
- Click the: "MARS" tab or click here: http://www.mfia.state.mi.us/mars/ez_track/MARS000.asp
- Click "How to use the System" if it is your first time in the website. Once acquainted with it, hit "Start Mars" and click "Create an Account". Enter a user ID, password and answer to secret question.
- 5. Fill out the all required fields in the Self Screening Questionnaire. It is best to be honest because any fraudulent answers will lead to disqualification.
Apply by Phone
To apply by phone please call (800) 285-9675 and inquire about assistance or ask to recieve an application form.
The Michigan Family Independence Program (FIP) |Cash Assistance provides financial assistance to the following individuals:
- US citizens or immigrants who are living in Michigan
- Those whose incomes fall under the poverty level
- Those with cash assets not more than $3,000 and properties not exceeding $500,000
- Those who do not receive any kind of cash assistance from other states
- Pregnant women, authorized guardian or acting parent to children under 18
NOTE: FIP is determined by the number of people in the household and their total income
For more details, visit: www.mfia.state.mi.us/olmweb/ex/bem/230A.pdf